|3 years 9 months old|
#SeriousKid is 3 years and 9 months old (so, 3.75 years old, if you’re a math enthusiast).
A. His Schedule – He gets up when we get him up, which is whenever his younger brother gets up. He is not a morning person. He practically never takes a nap at home. We usually try to put him to bed around 8:15 p.m. but he can easily stay up until 9 p.m. (he might be a night owl). He loves it when we let him sleep in our bed, though we don’t do it every night.
B. His Size – He seems average for his age.
C. His Personality – He is very loving, but also somewhat stubborn and kind of bossy. I think he gets his desire to lead others from my husband (and his stubbornness from both of us). He loves doing quiet activities like playing with Legos, reading a book, or watching a movie. He has very good attention span. He struggles to make friends with children his own age – I hope this improves with time, but I think making friends at any age can be intimidating and tricky, so I empathize with him.
D. His Favorite Things
- Chocolate (e.g. Chocolate milk)
- Candy (e.g. Pez)
- Chocolate candy
- Sweets (do you see a pattern?)
- Grape soda and Sunkist
- All of the colors (he used to prefer red so this whole not having a favorite color thing is new to me)
- Batman is his favorite superhero, although he likes other ones like Captain American, Iron Man, and the Hulk
- Legos, especially if you get to “build the guy” (build Lego figures)
- Puzzles (especially if the puzzle involves superheroes)
- Watching YouTube
- Hanging out on the couch
- Our cat
- Grilled cheese sandwiches, especially if it is served on a blue plate (he likes eating bread, so if you’re not willing to make him a grilled cheese sandwich, he’ll happily eat a piece of plain bread)
E. Things He Does Not Like
- Plates that are not blue
- When his younger brother destroys something he is building, or wants to play with the same toy he does
- Baths and showers
|3 years 8.5 months old|
F. What He’s Thinking About
- He is looking forward to a kids’ cooking class that he will take in the fall – this was his choice; he chose cooking class over soccer, tennis, and gymnastics
- Even though his birthday is not until October, he is already looking forward to it, and adding things to his Amazon Wish List
G. Surprises – Sometimes I am surprised at how old he looks to me in comparison to his brother. I am also surprised at how much his personality seems to tend towards my mother’s and my own personality, and not towards my husband’s. I think this makes it difficult for my husband to understand Serious Kiddo and vice versa (although, Bear seems to take much more after my husband than me, so I have similar challenges with Bear).
H. The Best Things – Developing a close relationship to #SeriousKid: talking about what’s important to him and doing the things he likes to do together, even if it is as simple as watching a show we both like and talking about it together.
I. Family and Friends – I hope that he will make friends at the new daycare, but right now, it sounds like he either plays alone or gets bullied most of the time (he tells his teachers about the name-calling he receives, in case you’re wondering). I could switch him into another daycare, but I fear that it would just happen again (I think he got bullied at the old daycare too, but he had a friend who was his ally which I don’t think he’s been able to replace at the new daycare).
Post a Comment